The holidays bring comfort and joy — but also an increase in crime. Here some precautions BART riders should take to avoid cell phone and purse snatchers, and other criminal activity, according to BART police:
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Walk and act with confidence.
- Walk with your head up and scan the area as you go. Make good eye contact with people around you.
- Travel with company whenever possible, particularly during dark or quiet hours. At a minimum, let another person know your itinerary and your expected time of return.
- Avoid the attention of thieves (use your cell phone discreetly if you must make a call). Avoid using your phone or electronic device near train doors, during station stops or when exiting the station, and never lend your phone to strangers.
- Keep your purses, bags and valuables close to your person and be careful of people bumping or shoving you in a particular direction.
- Be watchful of people following you after you disembark or exit the train or BART Station.
- Have your cell phone easily accessible (BUT NOT VISIBLE TO OTHERS) in case you need to call the police for help. Program the BART PD phone number into you cell phone 510-464-7000 so that you can be directly connected with BART dispatchers without delay.
- If you are inside the station and need assistance, contact any BART employee and have them call the police for you. You can reach the station agent by picking up the white courtesy phone. All pay phones inside of the BART Station and parking lots will connect you to BART Police Dispatchers.