.

Teen Accused of Vehicular Manslaughter to Change Plea

The teen driver is accused of hitting and killing Concord man Solaiman Nuri and his 9-year-old daughter Hadessa in April. He entered a plea of "not guilty" last month.

A teen driver accused of hitting and killing a father and his 9-year-old daughter during a bike ride in Concord in April is expected to plead guilty to vehicular manslaughter charges later this month, a prosecutor said today.

Appearing in a Martinez courtroom this morning for a pre-trial hearing, the 17-year-old sat next to his attorney, Peter Coleridge, who requested a change of plea hearing.

During the hearing set for Sept. 26, the Concord teen is expected to enter a guilty plea, which could send him to jail until he is 21 years old, Contra Costa County Senior Deputy District Attorney Dan Cabral said.

Last month, the teen pleaded not guilty to felony vehicular manslaughter charges in connection with the deaths of 41-year-old Concord man Solaiman Nuri and his daughter Hadessa, as well as to a misdemeanor charge of reckless driving causing great bodily injury for allegedly hitting and injuring Hadessa's older sister, 12-year-old Hannah Nuri.

Police said the driver was speeding along Treat Boulevard in Concord in his SUV around 9:30 a.m. on April 7 before he struck the father and his two daughters as they rode their bicycles. After a long police investigation, the teen was charged in July with vehicular manslaughter.

He has not been jailed.

Juvenile Court Judge Lois Haight reminded the teen this morning that he is forbidden to drive any motorized vehicle other than a lawnmower and from possessing or using drugs, alcohol or weapons.

After the driver's arraignment on Aug. 24, Michael Cardoza, an attorney representing the Nuri family, said neither the teen nor his parents have contacted the victims' family since the crash.

Several family members, including Solaiman Nuri's widow and mother to Hannah and Hadessa, were in court today to watch the proceedings.

Patch has decided to not name the juvenile. Agree with that or not? Should juvenile defendants be named? .

-Bay City News Service

Sue September 07, 2012 at 09:06 PM
It's ok to kill somone yet keep your identity quiet? He shouldn't have any rights! He knew what he did when he did it and pleaded "Not Guilty" and put the victims family through He double L, yet he can still stay out of jail and then turn around and plead "GUILTY" and still keep his identity quiet? Our system is BROKEN!!!
Jaime Kulisch September 08, 2012 at 02:25 PM
Justice will not be served if this kid gets out of jail in 4 years for killing two people and injuring another.
Kathy D September 08, 2012 at 02:46 PM
He should have been charged as an adult!! After serving time in a juvenile facility he would be transferred to state prison. His name has been previously released. He's 17 and old enough to face having his name released. After all, he was old enough to get involved in a couple of incidents previous to his mowing down 3 innocent people on bicycles. If he can only be sentenced to 4 years, he ought to have to do thousands of hours of community service; have his driver's license revoked permanently; be ordered to pay for the victims funerals and pay child support to the minor child until she is 18. That might come close to justice!
Gina Borgognoni-Wilton September 09, 2012 at 02:40 AM
I agree Kathy D.
frannyboston September 09, 2012 at 04:13 AM
This little creep makes me want to vomit. Bad ass show off in mommy and daddy's car. Wrecked a perfectly intact family for what? I hope you suffer, no matter how little time you get. I'm am so friggin pissed.
Karen September 09, 2012 at 09:16 PM
His name as published in the Contra costa Times is David Rosen. I believed that the vehicle he was driving was his, not his parents; nevertheless, he was uninsured.
Courler - Link September 11, 2012 at 08:17 PM
I'm right there with ya' Sue - This isn't a crash where family needs to be notified - the teen is the perpetrator of the event, and his identity should be revealed. He is old enough to drive daddy's car, which was too large for the him to be handling anyway, and wipe out two people, hence he is old enough to be listed publically as the assailant !
Courler - Link September 11, 2012 at 08:22 PM
I agree with Jaime on this - anyone else who wiped out two people would be in San Quentin for life, but they're gonna give him a 3-4 year slap on the wrist and tell him it's okay ? - Ridiculous !!! - I could only hope that he would never be allowed to operate a motor vehicle again, but I doubt that will happen either - 'his rights' you know ! - I guess the father and his daughter don't have the need for rights anymore, hence no one cares ! - Well, some of us do, for what that's worth ?!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something