The county sheriff is reminding residents not to drive drunk this St. Patrick’s Day.
"Today we are giving fair warning to everyone traveling in Contra Costa County that our law enforcement officers will be out on patrol and if you are caught driving drunk, you will be arrested,” Captain Elise Warren of the Contra Costa County Office of the Sheriff said in a press release Friday.
Extra deputies will be on patrol March 17 looking to take drunk drivers off the road. The sheriff offers these tips to keep drivers from getting behind the wheel drunk.
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin.
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver and leave your car keys at home.
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation to get home safely.
- Report Drunk Drivers - Call 911.
- If you know someone who is about to drive a car or ride a motorcycle while impaired, take the keys and help that person make other arrangements to get safely to where he or she is going.