Local victims of the EJ Phair identity thief have been coming forward, and sharing the odd charges on their bank statements with Concord Patch.
So far, the count of those affected includes 14 people who have commented or been referred to on the Concord Patch Facebook page and 17 on the EJ Phair web hacker story. The charges seem to be coming from various states and as far away as India. In France and Portugal, one commenter said the thieves spent "hundreds and thousands of Euros" using her account.
While many victims have been quickly reimbursed for the fraudulent charges, others have not been so lucky. and is still waiting to get the money back.
Here's where victims say the fraudsters have been trying to spend their money:
- A Walmart in Florida
- New Jersey
- Florida again
- New York
- Another one in Florida
- A Kroger grocery store in Georgia
- A gas station in Texas
- France and Portugal, "for hundreds and thousands of Euros"
- A Sony Store in New Jersey, spending $980, followed by lunch at Chipotle
- New York and Michigan, with charges totalling $3,500
- A bookstore in France, spending $1400
- Another French business — $650
- Montreal, Canada
- A Kmart in Arizona, with a charge of $230
- Quebec, Canada — $75
- France again, $129
- Brazil, $300
- Southern California, with charges of $350
- India, spending around $500
- India again
- A restaurant in Brazil, with a $300 tab
- A Home Depot somewhere, spending $400
- Toys 'R Us in San Jose
- A cigar store and sports bar in Georgia
Was your credit or debit card number stolen after a trip to EJ Phair? Where have the fraudsters been trying to spend your money? Comment below.