A lazy Sunday morning is best accompanied by coffee — or tea — and news in bite-sized chunks.
So sip along to this week in review. Here's the news from Concord Patch:
- News that the British-owned Fresh & Easy might be closing sparked a lively conversation on Concord Patch and on the Facebook page. Follow up story: Fresh & Easy: Five Reasons Why It Failed.
- Clayton has a new mayor. It's Julie Pierce.
- Former Concord Vice Mayor Bill Shinn left the council for retirement.
- Concord swore-in its elected officials, newcomer Edi Birsan and incumbent Dan Helix, and Helix was chosen as mayor.
- The city-by-city results from the Nov. 6 presidential election are in, showing that Concord voted overwhelmingly for Obama while Clayton was split.
- A 21-year-old man on a skateboard was struck and killed by vehicle on Monument Boulevard.
- A homeless man was strangled to death at an encampment by the Concord Avenue I-160 ramp.
- Jazz legend and Concord native Dave Brubeck died. Follow up story: Dave Brubeck: A Jazz Giant Who Made The Complex Mainstream.
CRIME AND FIRE
- The number of arrests related to domestic abuse tripled last week in Concord compared to the week before.
- Don't leave valuables in your car. Thieves are targetting vehicles.
- A fleeing robbery suspect was nabbed by a Concord police dog. The dog was Ben, who was profiled earlier in the week. Related story: Concord's K-9 Teams — Officer Ollie Sansen and Ben.
- A house fire on Ridge Road displaced a family.
- Survivors of the 1941 Pearl Harbor attack lit the beacon atop Mount Diablo, which is an annual tradition on Dec. 7.
- Being homeless is even tougher this time of year. Here's how to help the homeless in your community this winter.
- Getting the sniffles? It's that time of year again. To help you beat the bugs, here's where to get a flu shot in Concord.
Also, there is $100,000 up for grab's for Concord schools in Patch's 'Deck the House' competition. If your home is lit-up for the holidays, simply share a picture to enter.
MOST POPULAR ARTICLES ON CONCORD PATCH
- Fresh & Easy Considers Closing All Stores
- Concord K-9 Bites Fleeing Armed Robbery Suspect