It's looking to be a fine spring weekend, and here are some ideas to take full advantage of the great outdoors—and a couple of indoor activities!
Take a Hike
- Where/When: Mount Diablo State Park or Briones Regional Park, daily
- Why Go: This time of year may do a number on your allergies, but it also brings small waterfalls and beautiful wildflowers. It's said that from the top of Mount Diablo hikers can see more of the earth's surface than from any other peak in the world with one exception: Mount Kilimanjaro. Briones offers 6,117 acres of open space that is home to many animals. You may see black-tailed deer, coyotes, squirrels, red-tailed hawks, turkey vultures and, if you are lucky, more reclusive creatures. And the wildflowers are not to be missed.
- Price: Mount Diablo is $10 per vehicle, Briones is free.
- Where/When: The Gardens at Heather Farm; Saturday, 9pm–noon
- Why Go: The Gardens at Heather Farm's fundraising plant sale will be horticultural heaven. Featuring water-wise plants suited to our area's climate — grown from seed and cuttings or divisions from plants established in the gardens.
- Price: Varies
- Where/When: ; Sunday, 9-10 a.m.
- Why Go: Walk MS is a time and place to stand together to help raise funds that support cutting-edge research, drive change through advocacy, facilitate professional education and provide programs and services to help people with MS. The Walk MS route is fully accessible and offers rest areas to have a drink or snack and take a break.
- Price: Free
- Where/When: The Ruth Bancroft Garden; Sunday, 12:30– 3 p.m.
- Why Go: Create stunning succulent centerpieces for your spring decor this weekend at The Ruth Bancroft Garden. Learn design techniques from a pro, get beautiful garden materials to arrange and have long-lasting succulent plants after spring has ended.
- Price: $65 RBG or Garden Conservancy members, $75 general admission
- Where/When: California Magic and Dinner Theater; Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30p.m.
- Why Go: Enjoy a breathtaking show of illusion while dining at the California Magic Theater. Each weekend features different professional magicians.
- Price: $54-64, includes meal