America honors its veterans this weekend, and Concord will be saluting its military personnel with a speech at Vietnam Memorial Sunday, plus free meals, deals and discounts around town.
What's Closed in Concord on Veterans Day 2012
There will be no mail delivery and United States Post Offices will be closed, along with some banks. Schools and school district offices will be closed, including the Mt. Diablo Unified School District, and Contra Costa County offices, including its courts, will be closed for the day. All branches of the Contra Costa library system will also be closed.
Concord city offices closed on Monday, Nov. 12 for Veterans Day include:
- The Civic Center complex (1950 Parkside Drive)
- Public Works (1455 Gasoline Alley)
- The Concord Senior Citizens Center (2727 Parkside Circle)
- Police Headquarters (1350 Galindo St.)
- Willow Pass Center (2748 East Olivera Rd.)
- Centre Concord (5298 Clayton Rd.)
Concord Community Pool (3501 Cowell Rd.) will be open holiday hours from 10 a.m. to noon on Veteran’s Day, Nov. 12.
Police patrol and dispatch operations will not be affected by the closures, according to the city.
Events in Concord on Veterans Day
- All national parks, forests and monuments offer free addmission to all on Veterans Day. Visit the National Park Service website to find somewhere beautiful to visit.
- There will be a Veterans Day speech at the Concord Vietnam Memorial in Newhall Park, organized by the Disabled Veterans Service Association (DAV), on Sunday, Nov. 11 at 11 a.m.
Deals in Concord for Veterans
A number of local businesses are saluting veterans, military service men and women, and their families this Veterans Day by offering local discounts, specials and promotions. Here's a guide to specials in the area.
Two important notes:
- Most companies require some form of military ID. These include: a Military ID Card (active/reserve/retired), Current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), Drivers License with Veterans Designation, a photograph in uniform, you in uniform (if your service permits), Veterans Organization Card (e.g., American Legion and VFW), DD214, discharge paperwork, or other form of identification. Other restaurants and companies may go by the honor system.
- Always call ahead to verify locations, times, and participation. Many of the listed companies are franchises and may have different policies.
Free food in and around Concord:
- — free meal, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012: Chili’s is offering all military veterans past and present their choice of one of seven meals. This offer is available from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on November 11, 2012 at participating Chili’s in the U.S. only. Dine-in from limited menu only; beverages and gratuity not included. Veterans and active duty military simply show proof of military service. Visit their website to find locations.
- Applebee’s, Walnut Creek — free meal, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012: Last year, Applebee’s served more than 1 million free meals to military veterans and active servicemembers. Applebee’s is again offering a free meal to military veterans and active-duty service members on Veterans Day, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012. There will be seven entrées to choose from, beverage and gratuity not included. Military ID or proof of service required.
- — free pancakes, Monday, Nov. 12 2012: Free all-you-can-eat pancakes from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 12 for all active, retirees, and veterans with a valid military ID or proof of military service. Offer available in every Denny’s nationwide.
- Outback Steakhouse, Pleasant Hill — free Bloomin’ Onions and Cokes until Nov. 11, 2012: Outback Steakhouse is honoring America’s military veterans by offering active duty military and veterans a free Bloomin’ Onion and a Coca-Cola product during the week leading up to Veteran’s Day. This offer is available to Military Personnel with ID.
- — free Slurpee, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012: Available from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Offer good to all current and former military members. ID or proof of service required.
- Military Discount: The Home Depot(R) is offering all active duty personnel, reservists, retired military, veterans and their families a 10 percent discount off their purchases in honor of Veteran’s Day. The offer is valid on purchases of up to $2,000 for a maximum of $200 and is available at The Home Depot stores, The Home Depot Design Center locations, Yardbirds and EXPO Design Center(R) locations. The 10% military discount is available everyday for active duty and retirees, but not all veterans. Home Depot makes this offer available to all veterans on most military holidays.
- Military Discount: Lowe’s Companies, Inc. will offer all active, reserve, honorably discharged, retired military personnel and their immediate family members a 10 percent discount on in-store U.S. purchases made during the Veterans Day holiday. The discount is available Nov. 7 – Nov. 11. The discount is available on in-stock and special order purchases up to $5,000. To qualify, individuals must present a valid military ID or other proof of service. Excluded from the discount are sales via Lowes.com, previous sales, and purchases of services or gift cards. Like Home Depot, Lowes offers this discount daily to active duty military members, but not to veterans. However, they extend the offer to military veterans on military holidays. You can also find exclusive discounts at Lowe’s.com.
- : Every Monday, including November 12, active and veteran military personnel with ID cards are granted 10 percent off their purchases.
- : Veterans, active duty, retired and reserve military personnel and their immediate family members with valid ID get a 10 percent discount on purchases.
- Build-A-Bear Workshop, Walnut Creek: To celebrate Veterans Day, the store is offering 20 percent off a purchase when guests present a valid military ID.
- Amazon.com — free MP3 album download “Veterans Day Honor”: Available at Amazon on Veterans Day. Download the album (album will be full price again starting Nov. 12).
- — 15 percent off all purchases: All Veterans and Military personnel please stop by your local Sports Authority store to receive 15 percent off your entire purchase on Nov. 11, 2012. Please show proper identification or proof of service at check-out to receive this special offer.
How do you salute the nation's military personnel and veterans on Veterans Day? Know of another closure, event or discount? Comment below.