Running out of gift ideas for the hard-to-buy-for? Looking for something a little more unique?
One option is to step away from the online shopping cart and the big-name stores — and come on home to Concord instead.
Shopping at the mom-and-pop shops in the city helps keep these businesses alive, and there are plenty of ways to support local organizations this holiday season with your gift-buying choices.
Here are a few suggestions of how to give Concord for Christmas:
- For long-time Concordians and history buffs, buy them a membership to the Concord Historical Society. It's $25 a year or $500 for life. Download a membership application form from the Concord Historical Society website.
- Donate in someone else's name to a local non-profit organization, such as (click the links to make a donation):
- The Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano
- The Monument Crisis Center
- STAND! For Families Free of Violence
- The Rainbow Community Center of Contra Costa County
- Loaves and Fishes of Contra Costa
- The Contra Costa Crisis Center
- Give the gift of classes and activities offered through Concord Parks & Recreation Services. Click here to browse events, sign up for an account and buy online.
- Some locally owned businesses have gift cards available for purchase. Check with management at your mom-and-pop shop or restaurant of choice to see what's available.
- Buy a certification course at the Concord Community Pool, including CPR and lifeguarding skills.
- Encourage the kids and teenagers in your life to get active by joining a local sports group or camp.
Do you have ideas about how to "give Concord for Christmas" this year? Comment below and your suggestions will be added to the list.